Friday Night Lights has found a rival for Matt Saracen, and it’s…Peter Pan? Jeremy Sumpter, who starred in the 2003 film Peter Pan, has been cast as the recurring character J.D. McCoy, a gifted freshman quarterback who moves to Dillon with his family to try to take the starting QB job from Saracen (Zach Gilford). “J.D.’s a straight and narrow kid who’s been bred to be a football player by his father, and lives in the shadow of his father, who’s a big personality,” says exec producer Jason Katims. “There’s an interesting story about this kid feeling somewhat suffocated by his dad and starting to look more to Coach (Kyle Chandler) as a mentor.” As EW.com previously reported, Janine Turner and D.W. Moffett will play J.D.’s parents. (In addition, Deadwood‘s Kim Dickens will serve as Saracen’s mother, who has a tense reunion with her son.) Season 3 of FNL kicks off Oct. 1 on DirecTV, and debuts on NBC in early 2009.
Aug 13 2008 12:28 AM ET
Exclusive: Jeremy Sumpter tackles QB role on 'Friday Night Lights'
- 'Celeb Apprentice': Mr. Trump has hired...
- Billboard Music Awards: 2013 winners are...
- R.Pattz and K.Stew call it quits: People
- Yahoo to buy Tumblr for $1.1B: Report
- 'Star Trek' rules at box office: $70.6M
- 'Star Trek': Ranking the TV series, movies
- 'SNL': All Stefon's 'N.Y.'s hottest clubs'
- 'Game of Thrones': Compatible couples?
- 'Survivor:' Jeff Probst talks Brenda vs. Dawn, the final challenge advantage, and new reunion show format 458
- All Cried Out 464
- A Whole New World 408
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': Let's talk about that ending (and Benedict Cumberbatch) 340
- EW.com's 4th Annual Season Finale Awards: Nominations wanted! 500