Friday Night Lights has found a rival for Matt Saracen, and it’s…Peter Pan? Jeremy Sumpter, who starred in the 2003 film Peter Pan, has been cast as the recurring character J.D. McCoy, a gifted freshman quarterback who moves to Dillon with his family to try to take the starting QB job from Saracen (Zach Gilford). “J.D.’s a straight and narrow kid who’s been bred to be a football player by his father, and lives in the shadow of his father, who’s a big personality,” says exec producer Jason Katims. “There’s an interesting story about this kid feeling somewhat suffocated by his dad and starting to look more to Coach (Kyle Chandler) as a mentor.” As EW.com previously reported, Janine Turner and D.W. Moffett will play J.D.’s parents. (In addition, Deadwood‘s Kim Dickens will serve as Saracen’s mother, who has a tense reunion with her son.) Season 3 of FNL kicks off Oct. 1 on DirecTV, and debuts on NBC in early 2009.
Exclusive: Jeremy Sumpter tackles QB role on 'Friday Night Lights'
- 'Survivor' recap: Fit to be tied
- 'American Horror Story' recap: 'The Sacred Taking'
- Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman: Let's think this through
- 'Veronica Mars' out 3/14/14 -- and we have a clip!
- 'Sherlock' season 3: 10 new photos
- 'Arrow' react: 'The Scientist'
- Sundance: What's playing in 2014
- Danny Wells, Luigi of 'Mario Bros.,' dies
- Lady Gaga Muppet special a ratings turkey 1427
- Gunfight at the Not Okay Corral 687
- 'The Walking Dead' midseason finale: 'Too Far Gone' spoilers 443
- ‘Fast and Furious’ actor Paul Walker dead after car crash 395
- '12 Years a Slave': The emotional reactions that make director Steve McQueen thankful -- Q&A 370