If you’re among the millions of viewers who haven’t followed Ugly Betty to its deleterious new Friday timeslot, here’s what you’ve been missing: the show’s most consistently entertaining season since its transcendent first. As I mentioned in this week’s Ask Ausiello, the fourth-year comedy is, IMHO, enjoying a helluva creative resurgence. For proof, look not further than tonight’s exceptionally funny, moving, gutsy outing. If there were any doubts that Betty has a lot of life left in her — I’m talking to you, Ken Tucker — this eppy should obliterate them.
Now then, time to step off my soap box and board the spoiler train. Some teases for tonight’s hour:
* CSI: Miami‘s Adam Rodriguez kicks off his multi-episode arc as Hilda’s bad-boy ex and promptly finds himself embroiled in a love triangle with the sisters Suarez. One minute into his debut, and I couldn’t believe Miami let this guy go.
* An embarrassing-turned-empowering incident at school leads to a major turning point in the ongoing saga of Justin’s sexuality that is alternately shocking and heartbreaking.
* A significant character dies. I think.
* Ana Ortiz carves out an early spot on my Dream Emmy Ballot with a performance that will move you to tears and laughter. Honorable mentions go to Michael Urie, Mark Indelicato, Vanessa Williams, and America Ferrera, who has come to embody Betty so wholly that it’s easy to take her superior work for granted.
* Mode is rocked by news of an OMG departure.
So did I get you adequately pumped for tonight? Do you agree that Betty has been on top of her game this season? Sound off below.
More Ugly Betty from EW:
Video: Slezak lightly grills Vanessa Williams
The 19 best quips from the best episode of the season (so far!)