TV Guide that the contest’s finalists will now be required to make a music video, promote themselves, and learn to work with a band and back-up dancers. In a structural change, the show will now skip the round-of-24 and simply move directly to the top-12. “I didn’t think [the top-24] were very good,” Lythgoe said. “I was bored with them by the time they got there.”Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler won’t be the only new changes when American Idol premieres Jan. 12. Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe tells
'American Idol' new challenges include music videos
- 'Frozen' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $31.6M
- 'SNL' recap: 'Anchorman 2' and the boys
- Kennedy Center Honors: D.C. salutes five artists
- 'Amazing Race' preview: Phil Keoghan's photos
- 'Family Guy': What's next for Brian?
- 'Bonnie & Clyde': Nico Vega goes 'Bang Bang'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' lingerie line in Sweden
- 'Fifty Shades': Who'll dress Christian, Anastasia?
Top 5 Most Read
- Paul Rudd and One Direction take on 'Saturday Night Live': Talk about it here!
- 'SNL' recap: Paul Rudd brings a parade of surprise guest stars -- VIDEO
- 10 Best TV Shows of '13: Melissa Maerz's Picks
- Disney's 'Frozen' soundtrack: Ranking all nine original songs
- 10 Best TV Shows of '13: Doc Jensen's Picks