TV Guide that the contest’s finalists will now be required to make a music video, promote themselves, and learn to work with a band and back-up dancers. In a structural change, the show will now skip the round-of-24 and simply move directly to the top-12. “I didn’t think [the top-24] were very good,” Lythgoe said. “I was bored with them by the time they got there.”Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler won’t be the only new changes when American Idol premieres Jan. 12. Executive producer Nigel Lythgoe tells
'American Idol' new challenges include music videos
- Aaron Paul vs. Toys 'R' Us over action figures
- Lauren Graham set for new 'Odd Couple'
- 'Project Runway': And the winner is...
- 'Project Runway: Threads': A mini-me spin-off
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: 5 takeaways
- 'Game of Thrones': 7 rumors debunked
- 'Thrones': 86,000 answer call for 600 extras
- Josh Radnor in 'Disgraced': EW stage review
- Kiera Cass' 'The Heir': See the book cover
- CMT doubles up on 'Party Down South'