More good Sunday night ratings news: Showtime’s new series The Borgias had the pay TV network’s strongest drama premiere in seven years. The Jeremy Irons historical drama had 1.06 million viewers for its premiere, then added another 432,000 viewers during its encore for a 1.5 million tally. That’s up notably from the series debut of Shameless (982,000) and United States of Tara (881,000), but down from the debut of The Big C (1.2 million). (And, yes, I realize The Big C, like Nurse Jackie, is classified as a comedy by Showtime, but Showtime’s comedies are sometimes about as close to being comedies as Dante’s Divine Comedy is a comedy). Also, here are the ratings for The Killing and The Kennedys premieres.
'Borgias' sets Showtime ratings record
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Scandal' recap: 'The Price of Free and Fair Elections'
- Joss Whedon's 'In Your Eyes': Watch how it starts
- 'American Idol' recap: Alabama shaky
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: 'Go It Alone'
- 'Workaholics' guy visits Pawnee
- 'Parenthood' react: 'The Pontiac'
- 'Vampire Diaries' recap: 'Resident Evil'
- George R.R. Martin: Wanna see a full-sized dragon?
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Parks and Recreation' finale: 'Workaholics' star Blake Anderson to guest -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Scandal' season finale recap: 'I'm the Scandal'
- 'Scandal' finale: Talk about it! -- UPDATED
- Joss Whedon's 'In Your Eyes': Watch the gripping first three minutes before Tribeca -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works