More good Sunday night ratings news: Showtime’s new series The Borgias had the pay TV network’s strongest drama premiere in seven years. The Jeremy Irons historical drama had 1.06 million viewers for its premiere, then added another 432,000 viewers during its encore for a 1.5 million tally. That’s up notably from the series debut of Shameless (982,000) and United States of Tara (881,000), but down from the debut of The Big C (1.2 million). (And, yes, I realize The Big C, like Nurse Jackie, is classified as a comedy by Showtime, but Showtime’s comedies are sometimes about as close to being comedies as Dante’s Divine Comedy is a comedy). Also, here are the ratings for The Killing and The Kennedys premieres.
'Borgias' sets Showtime ratings record
Latest Videos in TV
- Jessica Biel to guest on 'New Girl'
- 'Once Upon a Time' casting Prince Hans
- Stephen Colbert 'Late Show' in N.Y.
- Whitney Houston's mom vs. biopic
- 'Sinister Six' in '16; 'Spidey 3' in '18
- 'Scandal' role for Portia de Rossi
- Michelle Fairley joins 'Resurrection'
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5': July 7, 2017
- 'Simpsons': All episodes going online