NBC: Why we didn't want 'Wonder Woman'
Though he picked up plenty of high-profile projects like Playboy, The Firm and Prime Suspect, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt knew he’d have to answer for the one project he didn’t greenlight: What the heck was wrong with Wonder Woman and why didn’t it make the schedule?
Not surprisingly, Greenblatt was diplomatic about the reboot from Warner Bros. TV and David E. Kelley (after all, the uber-producer is also the man behind Harry’s Law, which earned a second season pickup). “I hate to disappoint anybody. I know there are legions of fans of the original show,” Greenblatt told EW. “I don’t know if it’s cursed or what. I just have this one experience. They made a really fine pilot and Adrianne Palicki did a fantastic job. You look at what you have, what you need, and it just didn’t seem to fit in with what we were doing.
“We did what was best for the schedule,” Greenblatt continued. “It does give one pause. You’re almost damned if you and damned if you don’t. It’s tricky.”
Did Warner Bros. TV make a mistake by releasing early pictures of Palicki in the costume? Greenblatt isn’t so sure. “I was surprised there was such an uproar. But that didn’t have anything to do with whether the show got picked up. I love that it got so much attention. All that engagment from people whether it was positive or negative was good. And she did ultimately have these little hot pants…”
Alas, we’ll never get to see them. Or will we? Greenblatt says Warner Bros. TV may shop the pilot elsewhere. So maybe Wonder Woman will live to fight another day on the small screen (assuming you want to see it). Are you holding out hope?
Superheroes wanted. Follow me @EWLynette
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Arrow' boss talks 'Seeing Red' shocker
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- 'American Idol' recap: Release the rockers
- 'Survivor': 4 Q's for Jeff Probst
- 'Arrow' react: 'Seeing Red'
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 657
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 508
- Slaves to Love 466
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 382
- Kenya Get Your Scepter 482
Top 5 Most Read
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show