The cast of Supernatural took over the enormous Hall H at Comic-Con 2011 in San Diego Sunday and teased a season that will find the brothers Winchester “less powerful” than ever and possibly outer space bound. Of course, would you expect anything less from the show?
Here are some highlights from the panel and the press room:
– The first episode picks up seconds after the season ended and Jim Beaver says the season is “scarier” than usual in some ways. “There’s a certain sense of futility that’s come over us in the first episode,” Beaver told press. “We did a scene just on Friday where one of the guys was saying ‘Well, I can’t do anything about this. So I’m just going to do what I can do, and work on some seemingly smaller things.'”
– Sam and Dean are up a creek. “The Supernatural world is changing this season and they’re going to be facing the world a little less powerful than they have been in the past. The odds are stacked against them in ways they haven’t been before. They are more like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” Collins said.
– Crowley will be back, executive producer Sera Gamble confirmed at the panel.
– They showed a short preview of season 7, that found Sam reconnecting with a girlfriend from his past who has blood on her hands (literally!). The clip also flashed back to one of Sam and the mystery girl’s first interactions as teens. (And there was a great response for mini-Sam, Colin Ford) Padalecki said of the ep, directed by Jensen Ackles: “Sam has always…chosen to see the good [in people]. On that note, there’s someone from his past who he runs into…and he chose to see the good in [them] and not it’s coming back to bite him.”
– Sam and Dean…broke? “We’ve talked about this for years. Sam and Dean have always had the same car. How are we not in FBI databases? How do we not have people after us? How do they not have pictures? So we start to play with that this year and say Sam and Dean are starting to be found,” Padalecki said. “Now, what are they going to do about all these credit cards? How are they going to get money? People are on to their ploys. And on that note, also, we see that Castiel at the end of season 6, isn’t a friend anymore. So we can’t say, ‘Hey, Cas, we need some help.”
– Sam and Dean in space? “There’s got to be a way we can get them on a spaceship in one episode,” EP Ben Edlund pondered. “We’ve got a lot of people who could do it. There’re gods and tricksters. There’s any number of ways we could do it. And they can have little uniforms.”
– Ever wonder why there are ninja stars in the Impala’s trunk that the boys have never used? So did one fan at the panel, who asked if they’d ever be used. “Ben just pitched a ninja story!” Gamble said. “They could use the ninja stars to fight the Jefferson Starships!” Jensen Ackles joked.