As we get closer to the May 22 season finale of Glee, the stakes are getting higher, which is evident in next week’s episode, “Choke.” EW got an early look at the hilarious, but also emotional hour, which finds Rachel (Lea Michele) and Kurt (Chris Colfer) auditioning for NYADA (in the form of guest star Whoopi Goldberg, who does a great, subdued turn). For Gleeks, this episode is a pivotal one since this is what the high schoolers, especially Rachel, have been working towards for the last three years. It does not disappoint. Both actors, especially Michele, deliver stellar performances. I don’t want to give away too much but — SPOILER ALERT — here are a few other teases…
- Beiste (Dot Marie Jones) returns but has her own domestic drama to deal with; Jones is totally heartbreaking.
- Sue (Jane Lynch) and Roz (Nene Leakes) have a sit-down meeting in which Sue refers to Roz and Beiste as “Black Sue” and “John Goodman,” respectively.
- Kurt covers “The Boy Next Door” from The Boy From Oz while wearing tight, gold lamé pants. That boy can kick!
- Puck (Mark Salling) has a big storyline about whether or not he’ll be able to graduate (turns out he’s not the best student), which leads to a cover of “School’s Out” that culminates on the McKinley football field.
- To help tutor Puck in geography, the New Direction boys perform a rocking version of “The Rain in Spain” from My Fair Lady.
- Santana (Naya Rivera), Mercedes (Amber Riley), Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz), Brittany (Heather Morris), and Sugar (Vanessa Lengies) do covers of both “Cell Block Tango” from Chicago and a stripped down version of Florence + the Machine’s “Shake It Out.”
- Blaine (Darren Criss) gives Mike (Harry Shum, Jr.) hair tips.
- Sam (Chord Overstreet) is in a tank top. :)
- Rachel caps the episode with a soaring take on Kelly Clarkson’s “Cry.”
Follow Tim on Twitter: @EWTimStack