Hit proof: Often topping 7 million viewers, it’s one of the most successful cable reality shows of all time.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s also one of the most repetitive. How many times can you watch crabs being hauled onto a boat? If you’re a fan: Hundreds.
Why it does work: Crab fishing is literally like a televised slot machine. Every time they reel in a “crab pot” you get a different, unpredictable result, what those in the casino psychology business call a “variable payout.” Sometimes a ton of crabs spill out onto the deck like coins in a tray (ding! ding! ding!). Other times, nada. The fishermen are colorful too. Deadliest helped pioneer the blue-collar rural workman reality show which is currently ruled by Discovery’s hugely popular and similar Gold Rush.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 2 of 9)
- Alyssa Milano exits ABC's 'Mistresses'
- 'Twilight Saga': 5 short films on Facebook
- 'Selfie' premiere ratings: Little to 'like'
- Harry Potter fan sets Guinness World Record
- Tracy Morgan responds to Walmart filing
- King Kong animated series coming to Netflix
- Yvette Nicole Brown exits 'Community'
- 'Chicago Fire' react: 'Wow Me'
- 'NCIS: New Orleans' react: 'Carrier'
- David Fincher to direct HBO series 'Utopia'