Hit proof: Often topping 7 million viewers, it’s one of the most successful cable reality shows of all time.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s also one of the most repetitive. How many times can you watch crabs being hauled onto a boat? If you’re a fan: Hundreds.
Why it does work: Crab fishing is literally like a televised slot machine. Every time they reel in a “crab pot” you get a different, unpredictable result, what those in the casino psychology business call a “variable payout.” Sometimes a ton of crabs spill out onto the deck like coins in a tray (ding! ding! ding!). Other times, nada. The fishermen are colorful too. Deadliest helped pioneer the blue-collar rural workman reality show which is currently ruled by Discovery’s hugely popular and similar Gold Rush.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 2 of 9)
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI statement
- CeeLo Green deletes tweets on defining rape
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is No. 1 movie again
- Haruki Murakami's 'Strange Library' in English
- 'Downton' teaser: 'The world is changing'
- 'Arrow' teases Oliver and Felicity kiss
- 'Doctor Who': Sam Anderson on his debut
- 'New Girl' has a new guy: Julian Morris
- 'Reign' portrait: Mary, Francis, Mary's legs
- 'Longmire' axed by A&E after three seasons