Hit proof: A&E’s little reality show recently beat out high-profile shockfest American Horror Story to top Wednesday night on cable, delivering well over 3 million viewers per episode.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s about a redneck family living the swamp managing a duck call business and going hunting. (OK, so for many of you, that’s why it should work).
Why it does work: Call it Pre-Modern Family. It’s like any classic family comedy — a likeable core of warm-hearted people. The combination of Christian values and southern-fried fun gives this show plenty of red state appeal. Though TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is somewhat similar and probably even more inexplicable to most readers.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 5 of 9)
- 'Fashion Police' will return in 2015: E!
- Angelina Jolie to direct Richard Leakey biopic
- 'Supergirl' series finds a home at CBS
- 'Deadpool' movie set for February 2016
- 'Doctor Who' invites Nick Frost over for Xmas
- Caleb's 'Big Brother' Q&A: 'I would have won'
- 'Voice' winner Josh Kaufman gets B'way role
- GWAR welcomes new vocalist Vulvatron
- 'Agents of SHIELD' brings back 'Donnie Gill'
- '7th Heaven' cast reunites (minus Ruthie)