Hit proof: A&E’s little reality show recently beat out high-profile shockfest American Horror Story to top Wednesday night on cable, delivering well over 3 million viewers per episode.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s about a redneck family living the swamp managing a duck call business and going hunting. (OK, so for many of you, that’s why it should work).
Why it does work: Call it Pre-Modern Family. It’s like any classic family comedy — a likeable core of warm-hearted people. The combination of Christian values and southern-fried fun gives this show plenty of red state appeal. Though TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is somewhat similar and probably even more inexplicable to most readers.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 5 of 9)
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics, others hacked?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is No. 1 movie again
- 'Arrow' teases Oliver and Felicity kiss
- 'Doctor Who': Sam Anderson on his debut
- 'New Girl' has a new guy: Julian Morris
- 'Arrow' casts Amy Gumenick as Cupid
- 'Reign' portrait: Mary, Francis, Mary's legs
- 'Greatest American Hero' reboot eyed at Fox
- 'Longmire' axed by A&E after three seasons
- San Diego tax nix; Comic-Con's next move?