Hit proof: A&E’s little reality show recently beat out high-profile shockfest American Horror Story to top Wednesday night on cable, delivering well over 3 million viewers per episode.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s about a redneck family living the swamp managing a duck call business and going hunting. (OK, so for many of you, that’s why it should work).
Why it does work: Call it Pre-Modern Family. It’s like any classic family comedy — a likeable core of warm-hearted people. The combination of Christian values and southern-fried fun gives this show plenty of red state appeal. Though TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is somewhat similar and probably even more inexplicable to most readers.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 5 of 9)
- Mariah Carey swears, dress slips on 'GMA'
- Amanda Bynes arrested in N.Y.
- 'Arrested Development': It's almost here!
- Billy Joel in 'N.Y. Times Mag': 10 tidbits
- 'Simpsons': Visit Springfield (in Orlando)
- 'Fast & Furious' vs. 'Hangover' for No. 1
- CBS: Full trailers for new fall shows
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!