Hit proof: A&E’s little reality show recently beat out high-profile shockfest American Horror Story to top Wednesday night on cable, delivering well over 3 million viewers per episode.
Why it shouldn’t work: It’s about a redneck family living the swamp managing a duck call business and going hunting. (OK, so for many of you, that’s why it should work).
Why it does work: Call it Pre-Modern Family. It’s like any classic family comedy — a likeable core of warm-hearted people. The combination of Christian values and southern-fried fun gives this show plenty of red state appeal. Though TLC’s Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is somewhat similar and probably even more inexplicable to most readers.
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 5 of 9)
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Scandal': Is Rowan or Cyrus the biggest creep?
- Record Store Day: Droolworthy discs
- 'Petals on the Wind': First Look trailer
- Johnny Depp: 20 hair dos and don'ts
- 'Castle' goes '70s: Foxy Lanie!
- Natalie Dormer talks Margaery (and a little Cressida)
- 'Office' series finale: Handled with Carell
- 'Friday Night Lights': Going out on top
Top 5 Most Read
- George R.R. Martin reveals what a full-sized dragon looks like
- 'Parks and Recreation' finale: 'Workaholics' star Blake Anderson to guest -- EXCLUSIVE
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes
- 'Game of Thrones' Natalie Dormer teases what's next for Margaery
- Lindsay Lohan says 'sex list' is real, but there's an unfortunate reason…