Hit proof: In terms of total viewers, it’s the most-watched drama on TV, currently averaging 22.6 million viewers including DVR.
Why it shouldn’t work: Before you comment: I know that NCIS should not be a flop. It’s inclusion on this list is admittedly a stretch. But there’s also a reason it’s here. NCIS mystifies a lot of people not because it’s a hit, but because it’s this big of a hit (and no, the show’s fans are not just “old” people — NCIS does really well among adults 18-49 too). For many, NCIS is so corny that it’s downright difficult sit through compared to other procedural dramas, particularly for those of us in the TV industry and the media. I started asking insiders during get-to-know-you lunches if they watched NCIS just to see how long I could go before finding a person in Hollywood who watched TV’s most popular drama. It took two years. I’m sure that says worse things about the industry — being unable to appreciate such a popular title — than it does about the show.
Why it does: Here’s some explanation from Slate: “Amiable, unpredictable, and no more outlandish than any other prime-time fantasy about battling evil—gives you a lot for your 44 minutes. Mingling elements of a hardy cop show with those of a svelte espionage drama, segueing from macabre moments at the autopsy table to small giggles of office comedy, it’s lively with variety … The formula is so elastic that it doesn’t resemble a formula.”
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 8 of 9)
Latest Videos in TV
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 5 ideas for Dr. Burke
- 8 TV stars who proved you can go home again
- 'Bachelor': Chris vs. Juan Pablo on Andi's exit
Top 5 Most Read
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- 'American Idol' recap: Roll Down a Familiar Road