Hit proof: In terms of total viewers, it’s the most-watched drama on TV, currently averaging 22.6 million viewers including DVR.
Why it shouldn’t work: Before you comment: I know that NCIS should not be a flop. It’s inclusion on this list is admittedly a stretch. But there’s also a reason it’s here. NCIS mystifies a lot of people not because it’s a hit, but because it’s this big of a hit (and no, the show’s fans are not just “old” people — NCIS does really well among adults 18-49 too). For many, NCIS is so corny that it’s downright difficult sit through compared to other procedural dramas, particularly for those of us in the TV industry and the media. I started asking insiders during get-to-know-you lunches if they watched NCIS just to see how long I could go before finding a person in Hollywood who watched TV’s most popular drama. It took two years. I’m sure that says worse things about the industry — being unable to appreciate such a popular title — than it does about the show.
Why it does: Here’s some explanation from Slate: “Amiable, unpredictable, and no more outlandish than any other prime-time fantasy about battling evil—gives you a lot for your 44 minutes. Mingling elements of a hardy cop show with those of a svelte espionage drama, segueing from macabre moments at the autopsy table to small giggles of office comedy, it’s lively with variety … The formula is so elastic that it doesn’t resemble a formula.”
9 TV hits that should be flops
(Page 8 of 9)
- Miley Cyrus at Jingle Ball: Santa's twerk shop
- Grammy nominations: 9 snubs/surprises
- Grammys 2014 nominees are...
- 'HIMYM,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Grammy Nominations Concert': Your take?
- Harry Potter U.K. box set gets new art: Books news
- 'Sound of Music': Movie's Von Trapp kids say...
- 'Sound of Music': Laura Benanti on big night
Top 5 Most Read
- Grammy Nominations 2014: See the list of nominees
- 'Sound of Music' ratings soar: NBC's biggest Thursday in 4 years
- 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'How I Met Your Mother,' 'Revolution,' 'Supernatural': Find out what's next in the Spoiler Room
- Grammy nomination snubs and surprises: Justin Timberlake, Sara Bareilles, Lorde and more
- 'Family Guy': What's next for Brian