The Parents Television Council has finally discovered The Walking Dead.
The oft-outraged and oft-mocked parents organization is taking on TV’s top-rated drama for its “inaccurate” age-appropriateness rating of TV-14.
Some of you doubtless have no idea what that refers to. Ad-supported TV shows have mandatory content ratings that are, lets face it, widely ignored. But not by the PTC.
PTC president Tim Winter said in a statement: “Throughout its run, the AMC program The Walking Dead has featured some of the most graphic and brutally intense violence and gore imaginable.”
Yeah it has!
Continues Winter: “In the current season alone the show has depicted hundreds of scenes of grisly murder both of living and ‘undead,’ but human, characters.”
His statement has odd grammar and punctuation. But we understand. Please continue.
“The intensely violent content has included depictions of the cleaving of human skulls with a machete, extreme gun violence including graphic depictions of blood and brains splattering after gunshot wounds, and the use of a sharpened human bone as a weapon to stab another character.”
I know what you’re thinking. Long time until February, right?
“Clearly, this is content appropriate to an adult-only audience, but AMC has rated every single episode of The Walking Dead as suitable for a 14 year old child.”
Winter adds that he’s unleashing his organization’s 1.3 million members — none of whom almost assuredly allow their kids to watch The Walking Dead on Sunday nights after being home-schooled. They will turn their collective firepower on former Senator Gordon Smith, chairman of the TV Parental Guidelines Monitoring Board. So heads up, Sen. Smith.
AMC did not have an immediate comment. Should Walking Dead be TV-MA like American Horror Story? Perhaps. As for Walking Dead fans, keep calm and carry on.
– PTC targets ‘America’s Got Talent’ advertisers over Howard Stern
– PTC targets MTV’s ‘Pants Back,’ makes unique threat
– PTC slams NBC for hiring Howard Stern: ‘Act of desperation’
– PTC slams ‘judicial stupidity’ in Janet Jackson ruling
– PTC slams ‘Toddlers & Tiaras’ for ‘Pretty Woman’ hooker costume (okay, so they had a point with this one)
– PTC ‘shocked’ (shocked!) there’s naughty animated TV shows
–Teens ‘thank’ the PTC for ‘Skins’ (video)
– PTC urging states to investigate ‘Skins’
– Parents group protests Oscars host Seth MacFarlane
– Parents group slams M.I.A.’s Super Bowl flip off: ‘The NFL lied’
Whew! Ever get the feeling the PTC doesn’t like TV all that much?