Pitch: A young ensemble comedy that is created, written by and starring one of the hottest young stand ups, John Mulaney, and based loosely on his life.
Why It Should Have Worked: This show could be the next Seinfeld!
Why It Didn’t: Some in the industry who liked the pilot were surprised this didn’t get picked up. I’m told “comedy geeks” loved the script, but the executive brass did not. Timing could have been an issue. NBC is embracing a “family theme” for its comedies next fall, moving away from smarter-narrower-snarkier titles.
10 shocking pilot season rejects: Why they didn't make it
(Page 9 of 10)
- 'Ouija' is Friday's No. 1 movie: $8.3M
- 'Constantine' off to modest start in ratings
- Ewan McGregor vs. 'Star Wars' faux fans
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC
- Billy Boyd song for next 'Hobbit' end-credits
- Terry Keenan, Fox News and CNN alum, dies
- 'Thrones': 86,000 answer call for 600 extras
- Aaron Paul vs. Toys 'R' Us over action figures
- 'Project Runway' winner: 'It's just sinking in'
- J.K. Rowling's new Dolores Umbridge story