Patrick Jane on The Mentalist
Serial killer Red John’s most evil act? Convincing Patrick Jane he can never wear a T-shirt. Creator Bruno Heller once told me that Jane is so haunted by the death of his wife and daughter that he remains stuck in that moment and therefore keeps wearing the same suit from his psychic-charlatan days (there are actually two that look similar; both shades of blue, bringing out Simon Baker’s eyes). The suits are also intended to suggest a magician, with little pockets to hide things. Feel free to credit (or blame) Jane for helping spur the hipster men’s vest trend a couple years back.
Realism Ranking: 3 out of 5
10 TV characters who never change their clothes (and why)
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': Top $$ of '14
- 'Doctor Who': Sam Anderson on his debut
- 'Big Brother': 'Team America voted me out'
- Big Brother': 4 Q's for Julie Chen
- 'New Girl' has a new guy: Julian Morris
- 'Arrow' casts Amy Gumenick as Cupid
- 'Reign' portrait: Mary, Francis, Mary's legs
- 'Greatest American Hero' reboot eyed at Fox
- 'Longmire' axed by A&E after three seasons
- San Diego tax nix; Comic-Con's next move?