Patrick Jane on The Mentalist
Serial killer Red John’s most evil act? Convincing Patrick Jane he can never wear a T-shirt. Creator Bruno Heller once told me that Jane is so haunted by the death of his wife and daughter that he remains stuck in that moment and therefore keeps wearing the same suit from his psychic-charlatan days (there are actually two that look similar; both shades of blue, bringing out Simon Baker’s eyes). The suits are also intended to suggest a magician, with little pockets to hide things. Feel free to credit (or blame) Jane for helping spur the hipster men’s vest trend a couple years back.
Realism Ranking: 3 out of 5
10 TV characters who never change their clothes (and why)
Latest Videos in TV
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 5 ideas for Dr. Burke
- 8 TV stars who proved you can go home again
- 'Bachelor': Chris vs. Juan Pablo on Andi's exit
Top 5 Most Read
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO
- 27 DreamWorks Animated Movies: We Rank 'em!
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more