The Doctor has a major makeover every time a new actor steps into the role. But during each Doctor’s tenure, they will only have minor outfit variations. Executive producer Steven Moffat says when he took over the show in 2008, he was determined to make new time lord Matt Smith’s wardrobe more varied. Then he changed his mind. Moffat’s reasoning could apply to just about every character on this list and is an excellent explanation as to why any producer opts to keep a character looking the same each week: “You find a look that makes that actor feel like the Doctor and you sort of cling to it,” Moffat says. “You cling to it probably slightly childishly. And you don’t vary it. You have a magic moment where having had this young Matt Smith try on lots of costumes suddenly the Doctor’s looking back at you. And you sort of think, ‘That’s what he’d wear.’ And you don’t quite believe anything else.”
Realism: Hard to say? It’s magic!
10 TV characters who never change their clothes (and why)
- Jim Gaffigan series to air on TV Land
- 'CSI' role for Mark Valley
- 'Star Wars': Marvel Comics reveals plans
- Paramount apology for 'TMNT' 9/11 poster
- Kyra Sedgwick: 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' gig
- 'Arrow' casts J.R. Ramirez as Wildcat
- 'Goldfinch' movie rights go to...
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Hans, Pabbie
- 'Avengers 2' props shown at Comic-Con