Why it might have worked: Compelling hook (surgeon’s family held hostage in presidential assassination plot), strong pilot, decent reviews.
Why it so didn’t: For a lot of us who watched all of this year’s pilots, the flopping of Hostages was the fall’s biggest head-scratcher. Few probable factors: NBC’s The Blacklist, fueled by a big Voice lead-in, has totally dominated Mondays at 10 p.m. CBS’ crime-drama-loving audience has been wary about serialized dramas in the past (though they did watch Under the Dome this summer, so…). And perhaps the Hostages concept just sounded too much like last fall’s ultra-stinker, Fox’s The Mob Doctor.
Fall TV's 7 flops: What went wrong?
(Page 3 of 8)
Latest Videos in TV
- 'True Detective' season 1 finale: Our verdict
- 'Game of Thrones': 'answer injustice...with justice'
- 'True Detective': Let's cast season 2
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Alone'
- 'Resurrection' premiere: Will you return?
- 'Once Upon a Time' recap: 'New York City Serenade'
- 'Once Upon a Time': Jennifer Morrison on Emma in Oz
- 'Cosmos': Past vs. present, toward a better future?