Why it might have worked: Compelling hook (surgeon’s family held hostage in presidential assassination plot), strong pilot, decent reviews.
Why it so didn’t: For a lot of us who watched all of this year’s pilots, the flopping of Hostages was the fall’s biggest head-scratcher. Few probable factors: NBC’s The Blacklist, fueled by a big Voice lead-in, has totally dominated Mondays at 10 p.m. CBS’ crime-drama-loving audience has been wary about serialized dramas in the past (though they did watch Under the Dome this summer, so…). And perhaps the Hostages concept just sounded too much like last fall’s ultra-stinker, Fox’s The Mob Doctor.
Fall TV's 7 flops: What went wrong?
(Page 3 of 8)
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC
- Ewan McGregor vs. 'Star Wars' faux fans
- Terry Keenan, Fox News and CNN alum, dies
- 'Thrones': 86,000 answer call for 600 extras
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' trailer: 34.3M views
- Aaron Paul vs. Toys 'R' Us over action figures
- 'Project Runway' winner: 'It's just sinking in'
- J.K. Rowling's new Dolores Umbridge story
- Taylor Swift's '1989': Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Kiera Cass' 'The Heir': See the book cover