Why it might have worked: Compelling hook (surgeon’s family held hostage in presidential assassination plot), strong pilot, decent reviews.
Why it so didn’t: For a lot of us who watched all of this year’s pilots, the flopping of Hostages was the fall’s biggest head-scratcher. Few probable factors: NBC’s The Blacklist, fueled by a big Voice lead-in, has totally dominated Mondays at 10 p.m. CBS’ crime-drama-loving audience has been wary about serialized dramas in the past (though they did watch Under the Dome this summer, so…). And perhaps the Hostages concept just sounded too much like last fall’s ultra-stinker, Fox’s The Mob Doctor.
Fall TV's 7 flops: What went wrong?
(Page 3 of 8)
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' gig for Jenny Slate
- Tom Hiddleston wrote Thanks for Loki note
- Allison Williams as Peter Pan for NBC
- Directors push deal for Kodak movie film
- 'Blacklist' gig for Krysten Ritter
- 'Essential *NSYNC' is news to *NSYNC?
- Jim Gaffigan series to air on TV Land
- 'CSI' role for Mark Valley
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Hans, Pabbie
- 'Star Wars': Marvel Comics reveals plans