Mary (Michelle Dockery)
Lady Mary is under “a dark spell,” says Dockery, when the new season begins. (Most of baby George’s care is being handled by nanny and there are a few in the house still treating her like a porcelain doll.) But when the question of Mary’s role in running the estate arises — her son, after all, is the heir — she will have to rise to the occasion. Meanwhile, ready or not, she finds herself with suitors in the form of Tom Cullen’s Lord Gillingham and Julian Ovenden’s Charles Blake, who starts off his interactions with Mary on quite the wrong foot. “[Blake] just assumes that Mary is this spoiled eldest child who kind of expects everything,” says Dockery. “Gillingham gives her advice and they have an ease with one another. Whereas with Blake it’s the complete opposite.”
'Downton Abbey' preview: What to expect for each character in season 4
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' gig for Jenny Slate
- Allison Williams as Peter Pan for NBC
- 'Blacklist' gig for Krysten Ritter
- 'Essential *NSYNC' is news to *NSYNC?
- Jim Gaffigan series to air on TV Land
- 'CSI' role for Mark Valley
- Paramount apology for 'TMNT' 9/11 poster
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Hans, Pabbie
- 'Star Wars': Marvel Comics reveals plans
- 'Goldfinch' movie rights go to...