Mary (Michelle Dockery)
Lady Mary is under “a dark spell,” says Dockery, when the new season begins. (Most of baby George’s care is being handled by nanny and there are a few in the house still treating her like a porcelain doll.) But when the question of Mary’s role in running the estate arises — her son, after all, is the heir — she will have to rise to the occasion. Meanwhile, ready or not, she finds herself with suitors in the form of Tom Cullen’s Lord Gillingham and Julian Ovenden’s Charles Blake, who starts off his interactions with Mary on quite the wrong foot. “[Blake] just assumes that Mary is this spoiled eldest child who kind of expects everything,” says Dockery. “Gillingham gives her advice and they have an ease with one another. Whereas with Blake it’s the complete opposite.”
'Downton Abbey' preview: What to expect for each character in season 4
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Of Mice and Men': EW stage review
- 'Survivor' recap: The Man Who Could Not Stand Still
- 'Simpsons' First Look: Homer meets Lego Homer!
- 'Dawson's Creek': Kevin Williamson on how it ended
- 'Vampire Diaries': Paul Wesley nixes shirtless Stefan
- 'Arrow' react: 'The Man Under the Hood'
- 'Friends': The one about making the finale final
- '30 Rock': What made Liz Lemon's sendoff so sweet?
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- Corey Feldman claims pedophilia top danger for child stars, but won't name names?
- 'The Simpsons' producers spill details on Lego episode; plus, first image of Lego Homer!
- 'Game of Thrones': Jack Gleeson's picture-perfect reaction to the Purple Wedding -- PHOTO
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot