OUT: Tokenism: There are seemingly more characters of color in lead roles this pilot season in which race is actually part of the storyline, particularly at ABC, which has a trio of three semi-autobiographical comedy pilots in the works: ABC’s cultural identity comedy Black-ish, starring Anthony Anderson; a Taiwanese-American family comedy Fresh off the Boat; and a comedy based on the life of comic Kevin Hart. Plus, NBC has Craig Robinson’s (pic above) series Mr. Robinson, about a middle school music teacher. On the drama side, Fox’s Empire stars Terrence Howard, comes from Butler director Lee Daniels, and is set in the hip-hop world, while 12 Years a Slave writer John Ridley has ABC’s American Crime about a racially charged trial.
10 pilot season trends for fall
- Sony hires real-life inspiration for Olivia Pope
- Madonna releases six tracks from 2015 album
- 'Amazing Race' season 25 winners are...
- Sony CEO: We've 'not caved, not given in'
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- Obama: 'A mistake' to pull 'The Interview'
- 'Colbert Report' has immortal, all-star finale
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'White Collar' series finale: How it ended
- Kate Upton is People 'Sexiest Woman Alive'
- 31 Days of Holiday Binge: December picks