OUT: Tokenism: There are seemingly more characters of color in lead roles this pilot season in which race is actually part of the storyline, particularly at ABC, which has a trio of three semi-autobiographical comedy pilots in the works: ABC’s cultural identity comedy Black-ish, starring Anthony Anderson; a Taiwanese-American family comedy Fresh off the Boat; and a comedy based on the life of comic Kevin Hart. Plus, NBC has Craig Robinson’s (pic above) series Mr. Robinson, about a middle school music teacher. On the drama side, Fox’s Empire stars Terrence Howard, comes from Butler director Lee Daniels, and is set in the hip-hop world, while 12 Years a Slave writer John Ridley has ABC’s American Crime about a racially charged trial.
10 pilot season trends for fall
- 'Frozen' animated short in spring '15
- 'Gotham' streaming rights go to Netflix
- 'Arrow' digital-first comic is 'Season 2.5'
- DC Comics movie clues in website names?
- CeeLo Green's 'Good Life' canceled by TBS
- Robin Williams' daughter back on Twitter
- Adele: 2 unreleased songs leak (briefly)
- Jennifer Lawrence nude pics: FBI statement
- Justin Bieber: Assault charges in Ontario
- Joan Rivers on life support: Family statement