OUT: Tokenism: There are seemingly more characters of color in lead roles this pilot season in which race is actually part of the storyline, particularly at ABC, which has a trio of three semi-autobiographical comedy pilots in the works: ABC’s cultural identity comedy Black-ish, starring Anthony Anderson; a Taiwanese-American family comedy Fresh off the Boat; and a comedy based on the life of comic Kevin Hart. Plus, NBC has Craig Robinson’s (pic above) series Mr. Robinson, about a middle school music teacher. On the drama side, Fox’s Empire stars Terrence Howard, comes from Butler director Lee Daniels, and is set in the hip-hop world, while 12 Years a Slave writer John Ridley has ABC’s American Crime about a racially charged trial.
10 pilot season trends for fall
Latest Videos in TV
- Jessica Biel to guest on 'New Girl'
- 'Once Upon a Time' casting Prince Hans
- Stephen Colbert 'Late Show' in N.Y.
- Whitney Houston's mom vs. biopic
- 'Sinister Six' in '16; 'Spidey 3' in '18
- 'Scandal' role for Portia de Rossi
- Michelle Fairley joins 'Resurrection'
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5': July 7, 2017
- 'Simpsons': All episodes going online