Game of Thrones, Homeland, and The Colbert Report were among the winners at the 71st-annual Peabody Awards, announced this morning by the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. “The range of the Peabody Awards’ search for excellence has never been wider or deeper than this year,” said Horace Newcomb, Director of the Peabody Awards, in a statement. See the winners, recognized for their achievement in electronic media, below:
Tag: and Events (1-2 of 2)
It’s Emmy time this Sunday, soap fans! Though the TV Academy also uses the annual ceremony (airing live on CBS at 8 p.m. ET) to honor game and talk shows, the real competition lies in the drama categories. Will James Franco’s much-ballyhooed appearance on General Hospital help the ABC soap take the top prize? Will the soon-to-canceled All My Children earn a sympathy trophy?
We asked some on the industry’s top soap experts — Editorial Director Stephanie Sloane and Managing Editor Editor Gabrielle Winkel of Soap Opera Digest/Soap Opera Weekly, and Soap Opera Network Co-founder Xavier Toups — to pick who should win and who will win in the major categories.
OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Nominees: All My Children, The Bold and the Beautiful, The Young and the Restless and General Hospital.
Who should win: Sloane says GH, Toups and Winkel says B&B.
Who will win: Everyone is in agreement — the CBS half-hour (pictured, left) will win its third consecutive Emmy. Toups explains it best: “The show submitted two episodes where Stephanie, who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, finds her way to L.A.’s Skid Row and sees how people are living in a poverty stricken area. Stephanie devotes herself to helping those who are living there.” Social change! See: Winners circle.
Latest Videos in TV
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 645
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE