Okay, maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea for ABC to yank All My Children from the schedule: For the 2010-11 season that ended May 22, the aging sudser was down 18% in the key women 18-49 demo (0.9 rating versus last year’s 1.1 rating). That makes it the lowest-rated soap in daytime, not to mention the least watched (2.4 million this season, down from last year’s 2.7 million). Sorry, Susan Lucci, but that’s just not good. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Daytime Soaps (118-130 of 187)
'Young and the Restless' star Daniel Goddard on his dead (now alive) character: Don't hate us, fans!
The Fourth of July celebration came early for fans of The Young and the Restless star Daniel Goddard: On Tuesday, it was revealed that Goddard’s alter-ego Caleb is actually his twin brother Cane — the character that fans came to love before he was killed outside of his father’s wedding in February.
Confusing? Heck, yeah. But it should ultimately be good news for fans who were outraged at the Y&R writers for offing the beloved character in the first place. “What can I say?” Goddard told EW exclusively. “I was completely overwhelmed by the fans and all the things they did, all the love and support. I really appreciate my fan base and I love them very much.” READ FULL STORY
A spokeswoman for Days of Our Lives has confirmed that Dena Higley has vacated her post as head writer for the NBC sudser and will be replaced by Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas. The news was first reported by Soap Opera Network.
Ken Corday, executive producer of Days of our Lives, announced that Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas have been named the head writing team on NBC’s longest running scripted program, effective immediately. “McPherson and Thomas will bring Days of our Lives back to its core values by telling exciting stories with a fresh and contemporary approach including beloved characters,” said Corday.
Higley first joined Days in 1985 and served in various roles before leaving in 2004 to become the head writer for One Life to Live, Soap Opera Network says. After the writer’s strike, Higley returned to Days in April 2008.
Is something in the air? Just yesterday, ABC announced that it brought on a new head writer for General Hospital.
ABC announced today that Garin Wolf was named the head writer of General Hospital, effective immediately. “Garin is a talented writer and storyteller who has been a part of the General Hospital family for nearly 15 years,” said Brian Frons, ABC’s daytime president. “His in-depth knowledge and adoration for the show’s legacy will help make a smooth transition and an immediate impact on story. I’m sure he will succeed in taking General Hospital to new heights as he develops characters and storylines that will engage and thrill our viewers.”
Wolf replaces Robert Guza, Jr., who had been with the ABC soap on and off since the ’80s. Wolf has been on GH since 1997.
GH is currently up for 21 Daytime Emmys — the most of any sudser this year.
Not a fan of a shirtless Victor Newman. @EWLynette
Soap fans protest ABC's Upfront presentation: 'No one wants to watch The Chew. That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard.'
Armed with signs (“Screw The Chew” and “Save our soaps,” among them), a bullhorn, and an arsenal of quippy chants, the hardcore soap fans stood outside for the length of the two-hour presentation, hoping to bring attention to their cause.
“We’re trying to make a point to the advertisers that we’re not going to be watching the new shows, and we want our soaps to stay on the air,” protestor Susan Hoffman of New York tells EW. “No one wants to watch The Chew. That’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard. What we’re trying to say is that us, as soap viewers, are not going to watch a cooking show or a weight loss show in the afternoon. That’s not something we’re going to DVR and watch in the evening.” READ FULL STORY
General Hospital earned 21 Daytime Emmy nominations while The Young and the Restless grabbed 20 today from the Academy of TV Arts and Sciences. Even canceled soaps All My Children and One Life to Live made a respectable showing, each generating 13 and 12 nods, respectively, for the awards fest that’ll air June 19 on CBS from Las Vegas.
As for talk shows, The Ellen DeGeneres Show topped the genre with 12, followed by six for Today Show, six for The View and five for The Oprah Winfrey Show, which ends this month. Overall, ABC lead with 46 nominations, followed by 42 for CBS and 15 for NBC. READ FULL STORY
Warning, Erica Kane fans: This isn’t good news. In the midst of shooting the final season of The Oprah Winfrey Show, launching a cable network, publishing a magazine, and taping an addictive little reality show called Season 25: Behind the Scenes, the Queen of Daytime took the time to address desperate fans of All My Children and One Life to Life about why she can’t air the canceled soaps on OWN. She doesn’t say anything that we don’t already know — there’s no money in programming daytime sudsers anymore, kids! — but it’s pretty dang cool of La Winfrey to give it some attention. If only she had better news for you lovers of Llanview.
You can check out Winfrey’s video below: READ FULL STORY
Hoover stood up with irate fans today by announcing that it will yank advertising from ABC in light of the net’s decision to cancel All My Children and One Life to Live. On the vacuum company’s Facebook page, vice president of marketing Brian Kirkendall said “we hear you loud and clear” and plans to discontinue advertising with ABC this Friday.
“We’re making every attempt to pull our spots from these programs sooner,” Kirkendall said. “Because we feel that’s not enough, we also want to help get your voice heard with ABC. So, we’ve set up a special email address, SaveTheSoaps@Hoover.com, to help pull together the mass emotional outpouring of support for our beloved ABC soaps and get it to our contacts at ABC. Please, send your emails to us at SaveTheSoaps@Hoover.com, and we’ll get every, single last one of them to ABC.” READ FULL STORY
Agnes Nixon released the following statement about the cancellation of All My Children and One Life to Live, the two soaps she created for ABC more than 40 years ago. “ABC’s decision to cancel All My Children and One Life to Live saddens me greatly,” the 83-year-old queen of daytime soaps said. “I treasure the decades that the worlds of Pine Valley and Llanview were brought to life by our talented casts and crews. I appreciate that the network allowed our teams to break new dramatic ground and always supported our commitment to the honest portrayal of social issues. We hope we have entertained our viewers and perhaps even educated them along the way.
“My deep gratitude goes to all the talented people who have contributed to All My Children and One Life To Live over these many years; we were always family, made up of writers, producers, directors, actors, crews. Equally important in that family are our loyal fans who shared this journey with us. Although ABC has concluded there is no longer a place for our shows on their network, I will do everything possible to keep them alive. God bless you all.”
There’s nothing more satisfying than when another network comes to the rescue of a show that gets the ax (Southland fans can never thank you enough, TNT. Same to you, BET, for giving the love to The Game). So it’s no wonder that heartsick fans of All My Children and One Life to Life are holding out hope that some network — any network — will give their beloved soaps a second lease on life now that ABC has dropped them.
Sadly, the economics are far different for the daytime sudsers. Though an insider acknowledged that ABC-Disney would certainly field offers for the 41-year-old AMC and/or the 43-year-old One Life to Live, it’s unlikely that any cable network would have the cash to make it work. The Oprah Winfrey Network is out (no matter how much it could use a headline-grabbing stunt like this to boost its ratings). And its doubtful any other female-friendly web could pony up the cash to keep Susan Lucci on the payroll. After all, Guiding Light and As the World Turns weren’t able to find new homes despite the fervent hopes of Telenext, which produced both soaps. Perhaps fans should redirect their efforts to finding a new destination for Erica Kane. (Are you reading this, 30 Rock?)
Ironically, AMC and OLTL creator Agnes Nixon thought the CBS shows could have been saved when she was out in Los Angeles last year to promote the 40th anniversary of her ABC sudser in 2010. “I just thought it wasn’t necessary,.” she told EW at the time. “If someone had a little more intelligence or understanding of the craft and the medium, it could have been saved.” When asked if she thought AMC and OLTL would stay off the chopping block, Nixon was predictably upbeat. “It’s a great vote of confidence that the network moved All My Children out here. They’ve moved One Life into a studio [in NY] and that’s much bigger for them than the one they had. They are really some great people there. …As long as people work hard and don’t take it for granted… If they keep telling a good story, I think they’ll be alright.”
That said, Nixon also predicted that there will be fewer soaps within a year — not realizing that two of the soon-to-be-cancelled shows would be her own.
ABC head of daytime programming Brian Frons told EW that he’s replacing All My Children and One Life to Live with The Chew and The Revolution because viewers crave information that can help improve their lives.
“We started with what was succeeding for us, and that is The View,” said Frons (pictured with AMC star Susan Lucci). ” We did a lot of research and there’s a lot of desire for information on the part of our audience. They want relatable hosts, things that they could use in their lives. When they watch The Chew, it’s going to feel like a talk show in some segments, and like a cooking show in others. It’s like The View meets food.
“In the case of The Revolution, people are obsessed with weight in this country,” he continued. “They want a better life. This show delivers that.” READ FULL STORY
Following ABC’s announcement that the network has decided to cancel two daytime soap operas, All My Children (in September) and One Life to Live (early next year), Kelly Ripa, the Live! with Regis & Kelly host who starred on All My Children from 1990 to 2001, has spoken out about the series’ demise.
Said Ripa in a statement released to EW: “This is like losing a member of your family. All My Children was more than a job — it was my family. It was there that I met my husband; it was there when my first two children were born; it was there where I met many of my life-long friends. It was the greatest training ground ever. I feel heart sick.” While starring as Hayley Vaughan on the series, Ripa began dating now-husband Mark Consuelos, who played Vaughan paramour Mateo Santos Sr.
Soap fans don’t go away just because their favorite stars do. But while the four remaining soaps are probably hoping to absorb the millions of bereft fans who watch All My Children and One Life to Live, it’s doubtful they’ll be able to take on some of the more beloved denizens of Pine Valley and Llanview. READ FULL STORY
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' trailer is here
- 'Star Wars' trailer: Fans react on Twitter
- Shia LaBeouf: I was raped at L.A. art project
- 'Real World' alum Ryan Knight dies at 29
- Netflix: See what's new for December
- Joni Mitchell: I nixed film with Taylor Swift
- 'Mockingjay' aims to keep box office crown
- 'Red Band Society' production halted
- 'Assassin's Creed: Unity' fans get an apology
- 'MasterChef' judge Joe Bastianich to exit