Tom Chadwick is an affable British-Irish chap stuck in a bad patch. He’s reeling from a breakup, and he’s just been made redundant at his job. His longtime best friend keeps setting him up on disastrous dates with dim-witted women. Tom needs to Move Along, Please!, to borrow the title from his father’s favorite sitcom. Into Tom’s stultifying life drops a box of heirlooms bequeathed by a dead great-aunt. He begins investigating the knotty roots of his screwy family history, which takes this hangdog Homer on an absurdly funny odyssey into oddball quarters and pastimes (pantomime horse racing, anyone?). Tom, a product of his reality TV/self-documenting generation, allows a film crew to record his journey of discovery. Look, everybody! I’m interesting!
Tag: Family Tree (1-3 of 3)
Family Tree, a new faux documentary series on HBO, chronicles one man’s attempts to discover his lineage.
After losing his job and his girlfriend, Tom Chadwick (played by Chris O’Dowd) receives a box of things belonging to a great aunt he never knew. This prompts him to begin investigating his past.
The show, created by Christopher Guest (Best in Show) and Jim Piddock (The Five-Year Engagement), features a lot of improvised dialogue by veteran actors — many of whom have worked with Guest in the past. Familiar faces Ed Begley, Jr., Fred Willard, Michael McKean, Nina Conti, and Bob Balaban will all make appearances in the new series, which premieres on Sunday, May 12.
In this exclusive clip, Tom is back in the dating scene, having dinner with a woman who has an … interesting hobby.
Check out the exclusive clip below:
READ FULL STORY
The king of improv feature films, Christopher Guest, is coming to HBO this May with Family Tree. The new comedy series stars Chris O’Dowd, who you might know from Bridesmaids or Girls, as a man who “gets a box of treasures” and becomes obsessed with his family’s history.
In our spring preview issue, Guest told EW that each episode has an eight-page outline and the rest is improv. “But we’ve written a huge back history for every character, which took us six or eight months to come up with,” Guest explained. “We’ve done an entire family tree going back to the 1700s.”
Watch the fun teaser below: READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in TV
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 645
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE