Inside TV Exclusive TV News and Scoop

Tag: Lawsuits (14-26 of 53)

HBO wins 'Johnny Bananas' lawsuit brought by 'Real World' alum

No one makes a monkey out of HBO. The pay cable network successfully defeated a lawsuit brought by Real World: Key West star John “Johnny Bananas” Devenanzio, that alleged the cartoon character “Johnny Bananas” from Entourage‘s final season caused Devenanzio emotional distress and defamed him.

READ FULL STORY

Men suing 'The Bachelor' discuss their case

As reported yesterday, Nashville natives Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson followed through with their threat to file a class action lawsuit against ABC and the producers of The Bachelor franchise for purposeful discrimination against people of color (African-Americans, Latinos, and Asian-Americans). The two African-American men and their lawyers discussed their hopes for what they think will be a “landmark civil rights case that will move social justice and economic equality forward.” Said attorney Cyrus Mehri, “They’re doing their small part in the Unites States’ journey to be a more inclusive country, to be a more diverse country, and to be a country that is far more tolerant than this series would suggest.” READ FULL STORY

Date set for Nicollette Sheridan's 'Desperate Housewives' retrial

Nicollette Sheridan will have yet another day in court: The same judge who declared a mistrial in her wrongful termination lawsuit against ABC and ABC Studios last month said today that a retrial of her case will begin in Los Angeles on Sept. 10. The trial is expected to take 12 days.

The original trial ended March 19 with the jury split eight-to-four in favor of the actress, who claimed that her Desperate Housewives character Edie Britt was killed off the show in 2009 after she complained about an incident where she claims to have been hit on the head by executive producer and show creator Marc Cherry. (Cases like this require nine jury members to agree on a decision.) The suit originally included Cherry as a defendant on a charge of battery, but that was dropped when the judge said it didn’t meet the workman’s compensation benchmark that applies to such matters.

The original trial saw testimony from Sheridan and Cherry, of course, as well as folks like star James Denton, Cherry’s producing partner Sabrina Wind, former ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson, and former ABC Studios honcho Mark Pedowitz. The retrial will likely see several of the same people — including Cherry, even though he isn’t a defendant any longer — take the stand yet again.

The two-hour series finale of Desperate Housewives airs May 13, but the trial ensures that the drama from Wisteria Lane will continue to unfold well into the fall.

Tanner on Twitter: @EWTanStransky

Read more:
Mistrial declared in Nicollette Sheridan trial
Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: A round-up of essential takeaways so far
‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator says Nicollette Sheridan let go because of ‘unprofessional behavior’
Nicollette Sheridan at ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator Marc Cherry ‘hit me upside the head’

'Bachelor' threatened with racial discrimination lawsuit, experts weigh in

News broke Tuesday that Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson, two African-American football players from Nashville, are holding a press conference Wednesday to discuss their decision to file a class action lawsuit against ABC’s The Bachelor on behalf of “all persons of color who have applied for the role of The Bachelor or Bachelorette but been denied the equal opportunity for selection on the basis of race.” The players say they plan to target ABC, Bachelor executive producer Mike Fleiss, and the show’s production companies (which include Warner Horizon Television, Next Entertainment, and NZK Productions).

The release announcing the conference noted that, “Over a combined total of 23 seasons, neither show has ever had a Bachelor or Bachelorette of color.”

EW reached out to entertainment lawyers who specialize in discrimination cases and are based in California (where The Bachelor is filmed) to provide some insight. The lawyers admitted this was an unprecedented case in many ways. “I’ve watched that [area of law] like a hawk, and I haven’t seen a case like this before,” said Jeffrey S. Kravitz of Fox Rothschild LLP. Though facts on the potential case are still uncertain (Claybrooks and Johnson plan to formally file their suit on Wednesday), this kind of case could be a game-changer. READ FULL STORY

Keith Olbermann sues Current TV in blistering lawsuit

Keith Olbermann blasted his former employer Current TV in a lawsuit demanding about $70 million in compensation for terminating the anchor before his contract expired.

“After being enticed to leave MSNBC and come to Current with the promise of editorial control, freedom from corporate influence, and the professional support to produce high-caliber political commentary show of the type his viewers have come to expect, Keith Olbermann was disheartened to discover [Current TV founders] Al Gore, Joel Hyatt, and the management of Current are no more than dilettantes portraying entertainment executives.”

The outspoken pundit was fired from the modest-sized cable network last week. He alleges in a lengthy complaint that Hyatt “created an environment in which major business errors and technical failures became commonplace and acceptable.” READ FULL STORY

Mistrial declared in Nicollette Sheridan case

The deliberation was apparently too much to bear for the jury in Nicollette Sheridan’s wrongful termination lawsuit against the makers of Desperate Housewives. A Superior Court judge on Monday declared a mistrial after the jury was split 8 to 4 in favor of the actress — one short of the nine needed to make a decision.

Juror Beverly Crosby told reporters Monday that she believed Sheridan was hit by Executive Producer/Creator Marc Cherry, which the actress believed precipitated her firing. During the civil trial, ABC argued that it had approved the death of Sheridan’s Edie Britt character in May 2008 — four months before Cherry had struck the actress at the beginning of season 5 in September 2008. Sheridan was killed off later that season after, her attorneys allege, Cherry was cleared of wrongdoing by ABC.

“The evidence showed she was struck, so we didn’t get bogged down with the terminology,” Crosby said. “I looked at the fact that she was touched without permission.”

The jury went into the weekend deadlocked but Judge Elizabeth Allen White urged them to try to resolve Sheridan’s $6 million suit against ABC.

Both sides will reportedly seek a new trial.

Read more:
Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: A round-up of essential takeaways so far

‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator says Nicollette Sheridan let go because of ‘unprofessional behavior’
Nicollette Sheridan at ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator Marc Cherry ‘hit me upside the head’

Nicollette Sheridan's 'Desperate Housewives' trial: Judge drops battery charge against creator Marc Cherry

The battery charge in Nicollette Sheridan’s trial against Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry has been dropped, per judge Elizabeth Allen White. With that part of the case removed, Cherry is no longer a defendant. The case still includes a wrongful termination claim against former employers ABC and ABC Studios.

Sheridan claimed in her original $6 million suit that Cherry had struck her on the set of Desperate Housewives on Sept. 24, 2008.

In dismissing the charge, the judge made the point that Sheridan’s claims did not meet the standard of proof for battery. The only question that remains in the case now is if Sheridan was, indeed, retaliated against by ABC when her character, Edie Britt, was killed off the show and she was let go. With the battery charge dropped, the jury will still be asked to decide on the wrongful-termination claim.

Cherry appeared outside the courtroom after the charge was dismissed and spoke to the press for the first time. “Obviously I’m thrilled by the judge’s decision,” he said. “But I’m going to withhold further comment until this matter is resolved completely.”

Tanner on Twitter: @EWTanStransky

Read more:
Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: A round-up of essential takeaways so far
‘Desperate Housewives’ major character death revealed: Read an EXCLUSIVE interview with the star!
‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator says Nicollette Sheridan let go because of ‘unprofessional behavior’
Nicollette Sheridan at ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial: Creator Marc Cherry ‘hit me upside the head’
Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ trial starts today
‘Desperate Housewives’ trial begins: ‘This is a man hitting a woman’

Nicollette Sheridan's 'Desperate Housewives' trial: A round-up of essential takeaways so far

Nicollette Sheridan’s wrongful termination and battery case against Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry, ABC, and ABC Studios has continued this entire week in downtown Los Angeles. A variety of witnesses have been called — including Cherry, ABC executives Mark Pedowitz and Steve McPherson, Desperate star James Denton, and producers George Perkins and Sabrina Wind — who have all contributed heartily to the deluge of information out there about the case. We’ve updated you earlier in the week, but to help you sort it all out, EW has distilled the essential information from the last few days of testimony:

+ CASE CLOSED…SOON: Judge Elizabeth Allen White told the jury today that she expects the case to wrap — closing arguments and all — by Tuesday, March 13. That means that it’s highly unlikely that many on the potential witness list — including high profile names like Sheridan’s former co-stars Marcia Cross, Felicity Huffman, and Eva Longoria — will be called to testify. White said that it was “not appropriate” for the stars to appear — the defense had hoped to use them to show how Cherry interacted with them over physical direction. (However, the defense could still call them under other auspices.)

READ FULL STORY

Ryan Seacrest's 'Shahs of Sunset' lawsuit settled

Ryan Seacrest and his production company are off the hook for $100,000 since Kathy Salem has settled her lawsuit again Ryan Seacrest Productions, EW has confirmed. Back in November, Los Angeles resident Salem alleged she was subjected to “demeaning and humiliating” situations while filming in Shahs of Sunset, a reality show some have dubbed “the Persian Jersey Shore.” Per the settlement, Salem will be removed from this Sunday’s premiere episode. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Shahs’ home network Bravo declined to comment, but a spokeswoman from Ryan Seacrest Productions said, “We confirm that the lawsuit about Kathy Salem’s appearance in the Shahs of Sunset production has been settled. We have no further comment.”

Read more:
Ryan Seacrest sued for ‘demeaning and humiliating’ woman for ‘Shahs of Sunset’ reality show

'Desperate Housewives' trial: Lawyer testifies that Nicollette Sheridan was afraid she'd lose her job

Both Nicollette Sheridan and Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry have finished their juicy testimony in the actress’ wrongful termination suit that’s playing out in downtown Los Angeles, so other players are now taking the stage. Today, Sheridan’s entertainment lawyer Neil Meyer took the stand and told the court that the former Desperate Housewives actress was afraid she’d lose her job after an encounter where Cherry allegedly struck her on the head, on set. Sheridan is seeking $6 million in damages for her eventual termination, which she says happened in retaliation for complaining about the incident with Cherry.

While on the stand today, Sheridan’s lawyer Meyer characterized Cherry as a “vindictive man.” (That remark was eventually struck from the record, at the request of Cherry’s lawyer.) He also explained that Sheridan has been willing to move on from the situation. “We weren’t looking to ABC/Disney to do anything,” Meyer said during questioning, “because Nicollette was concerned about retaliation. Marc Cherry had apologized, and she was prepared to put her head down and go back to work. Nicollette was upset, but she was also worried about her job.”

READ FULL STORY

'Desperate Housewives' trial: Creator says Nicollette Sheridan let go because of 'unprofessional behavior'

This morning at Nicollette Sheridan’s ongoing wrongful termination trial in downtown Los Angeles, Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry took the stand and told the court that he let the actress go because of her “unprofessional behavior.” Added Cherry: “It wasn’t the primary reason for my decision. But it was something I was aware of.”

Cherry, however, also said that all reasons for her firing were secondary to “creative desires” to boost the show’s storylines in following seasons. Sheridan claims that she was fired from the once-hot series in retaliation to her complaints about an encounter she had with Cherry that got physical. READ FULL STORY

Nicollette Sheridan at 'Desperate Housewives' trial: Creator Marc Cherry 'hit me upside the head'

Former Desperate Housewives star Nicollette Sheridan took the stand in Los Angeles Thursday as the first witness in a trial to decide if she was wrongfully terminated from her role as Edie Britt on the ABC primetime soap opera.

Wearing a dark blue suit jacket and with her hair pulled back in a ponytail, Sheridan described the day she claims she was slapped by Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry.

The set-up, provided by Sheridan, was that a “funny” line Edie said during rehearsals had been cut from the script. So the actress approached Cherry about why it was gone. “What is it that you want?” Sheridan recounts him as saying. Then, she added, “Mr. Cherry approached, he took his right hand, and he hit me upside the head. I was stunned I couldn’t believe he just hit me.” Sheridan then recreated her reaction. “You just hit me in the head,” she said very loudly in the courtroom, while tearing up. “This is not okay, that is not okay.”

READ FULL STORY

Nicollette Sheridan's wrongful termination trial against 'Desperate Housewives' starts today

The Desperate Housewives drama is about to transfer from Wisteria Lane to the courtroom: Today marks the first day of Nicollette Sheridan’s wrongful termination trial against ABC and Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry. The dispute dates back to April 2010, when the actress filed a lawsuit against Cherry for assault and battery, gender violence, wrongful termination, and “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” claiming the series creator had fired her after she had complained about his “demeaning” and “unprofessional” behavior. (Sheridan’s character, Edie Britt, was killed off in the series’ fifth season.) Later that year, Sheridan dropped the assault and battery charges, but still pursued wrongful termination charges, while workers compensation lawyers for Cherry claimed that he had decided to kill off Edie months before their argument for cost-cutting purposes. READ FULL STORY

Latest Videos in TV

Advertisement

TV Recaps

Powered by WordPress.com VIP