It was way back in August of last year that the BBC announced Peter Capaldi would replace Matt Smith as the star of Doctor Who — although of course the intervening five months are but the blink of an eye in life of a Time Lord and, for that matter, the life of the now half century-old British sci-fi show.
Tag: Peter Capaldi (1-3 of 3)
Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat is always keen to point out that the now 50-year-old sci-fi show is at heart an easy-to-understand saga. But the wily scribe has no problem with having his lead character remind fans — or explain to newcomers — just what the bloody hell the show is all about. Take, for example, the point in tonight’s special Christmas episode, “The Time of the Doctor,” when Matt Smith’s semi-titular, two-hearted hero introduced himself to a couple of strangers thusly: “I’m the Doctor. I’m a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. I stole a time machine and ran away and I’ve been flouting the principal law of my own people ever since!”
Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat seems determined to fit as many monsters as is humanly — or Gallifreyanly — possible into this year’s special Christmas show, which debuts Dec. 25 on BBC America. Cybermen. The Silence. A Dalek. A Weeping Angel (or at the very least, a spooky-looking statue): All feature in the new trailer for the episode, which will also see Matt Smith’s Eleventh Doctor into Peter Capaldi’s Twelfth.
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in TV
- 'Brick Mansions': EW movie review
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2': Pleased to meet...Electro?
- Bryan Singer statement on abuse claims
- 'Mentalist' being shopped to networks outside CBS
- 'Begin Again': Keira Knightley song for Adam Levine
- 'Parks and Rec': 9 hints about season finale
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday': Master of disguise?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 680
- The Spy Who Shacked Me 500
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 527
- Slaves to Love 512
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 387
Top 5 Most Read
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!