As reported yesterday, Nashville natives Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson followed through with their threat to file a class action lawsuit against ABC and the producers of The Bachelor franchise for purposeful discrimination against people of color (African-Americans, Latinos, and Asian-Americans). The two African-American men and their lawyers discussed their hopes for what they think will be a “landmark civil rights case that will move social justice and economic equality forward.” Said attorney Cyrus Mehri, “They’re doing their small part in the Unites States’ journey to be a more inclusive country, to be a more diverse country, and to be a country that is far more tolerant than this series would suggest.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: The Bachelor (40-52 of 70)
News broke Tuesday that Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson, two African-American football players from Nashville, are holding a press conference Wednesday to discuss their decision to file a class action lawsuit against ABC’s The Bachelor on behalf of “all persons of color who have applied for the role of The Bachelor or Bachelorette but been denied the equal opportunity for selection on the basis of race.” The players say they plan to target ABC, Bachelor executive producer Mike Fleiss, and the show’s production companies (which include Warner Horizon Television, Next Entertainment, and NZK Productions).
The release announcing the conference noted that, “Over a combined total of 23 seasons, neither show has ever had a Bachelor or Bachelorette of color.”
EW reached out to entertainment lawyers who specialize in discrimination cases and are based in California (where The Bachelor is filmed) to provide some insight. The lawyers admitted this was an unprecedented case in many ways. “I’ve watched that [area of law] like a hawk, and I haven’t seen a case like this before,” said Jeffrey S. Kravitz of Fox Rothschild LLP. Though facts on the potential case are still uncertain (Claybrooks and Johnson plan to formally file their suit on Wednesday), this kind of case could be a game-changer. READ FULL STORY
UPDATE: Lamar Hurd’s assistant Tammie (the same person featured in the video below) tells EW that Hurd now has a meeting with ABC on Monday.
Fans of The Bachelor (myself included) love to complain about the show. Whether it’s the flatness of Ben Flajnik’s hair or the grotesque overuse of the word “journey,” every season gives viewers something to gripe about. But there’s one legitimate complaint that some fans have voiced for the past 16 (!) seasons: Why has there never been a non-white Bachelor? Last year, the show’s creator Mike Fleiss told EW.com that he and his team “always want to cast for ethnic diversity, it’s just that for whatever reason, they don’t come forward. I wish they would.”
Well, Mike, your wish is granted! A movement is afoot to crown Portland-based sportscaster Lamar Hurd as the first black Bachelor. According to his professional-looking audition video (click through to watch), Lamar’s assistant Tammy first came up with the idea to submit an application to ABC on behalf of her boss, whom she describes as “perfect.” While Lamar was initially resistant — “Let’s say I wanted to go on it, and was willing to do it, they haven’t even had a black Bachelor” — he ultimately warmed to the idea and agreed to apply for season 17. READ FULL STORY
'Bachelor': Lindzi Cox on whether she bought Courtney's apology and why she wasn't on 'After the Final Rose'
After last night’s Bachelor finale, fans may have wanted to hear what runner-up Lindzi Cox would say to Ben Flajnik, who proposed to Courtney Robertson in Switzerland and renewed their engagement on the After the Final Rose special despite admitting he broke up with her while the season was airing. But they didn’t get the chance. “I was at After the Final Rose, but it was brought to my attention that it was pretty emotional with Ben and Courtney, and it sounded like they have a lot to work on in their relationship, so I sorta decided, along with the producers, that I’m in a good place and I don’t need closure. Ben has bigger issues to worry about, like his engagement,” Lindzi says. “I don’t really have anything pressing I need to say to Ben. If down the road I do, I can have a chance later.”
Her only regret from that night: “I had a really cute dress on,” she laughs. “It was Black Halo. I did wear it last night on Jimmy Kimmel. So I finally got to wear my Black Halo dress.”
We got answers to a few more burning questions when she visited EW earlier today: READ FULL STORY
Guilty pleasure TV will continue this summer on ABC: EW has learned exclusively that the network will order a third season of The Bachelor Pad.
The series, which is a Big Brother-like battle of the sexes in a home populated by former contestants, will return this summer. And there will be twist: A lucky fan can join the show! Viewers can apply to appear on the series at ABC.com/Bachelorpad. (Let the lines form now!)
More information about the new season will pop up after tonight’s finale of The Bachelor.
Season 2 averaged 7.10 million viewers.
InsideTV Podcast: Is Colton the most despicable 'Survivor' contestant ever? Ousted Bill weighs in. Plus: 'Bachelor' chat with EW's fave grandma!
In just four episodes, Colton Cumbie has made a strong case for being the most hated Survivor contestant of all time. Whether it is the borderline racist comments, the bullying of a little person, or just overall disdain for anyone and anything he comes into contact with, Colton may as well just attach his picture next to the word “unlikable” in the dictionary. But is he the most despicable character in the history of the show? Jessica Shaw and I debate that very point in the newest installment of the InsideTV Podcast. And we call in an expert witness in the recently ousted Bill Posley to ask the stand-up comic point blank: Is Colton a racist? Bill answers that as well as explaining his reasoning for agreeing to go to Tribal Council even after his tribe won the immunity challenge. (Turns out he thought Colton was going home!) READ FULL STORY
'The Bachelor' sneak peek: The 'ladies' rip into Courtney on 'The Women Tell All' -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
Say it with me, rose-lovers: It’s going to be the most dramatic Women Tell All episode… ever! And EW.com has your first look at the reunion special, in which Ben’s rejected “ladies” gather to share memories, reveal teary-eyed regrets about their failure to find “love” with Ben, and most importantly, to tear into Courtney like a pack of starving hyenas decimating a felled zebra corpse. And the best part? Courtney’s listening in the whole time! Watch the delicious awkwardness after the jump. READ FULL STORY
Tonight is the episode fans of The Bachelor have been waiting for: Courtney invites Ben to go skinny-dipping in Puerto Rico as things continue to go south between her and the other contestants, particularly Emily. If Courtney’s man- and rose-stealing antics weren’t already the focus of watercooler (and ladies’ room) conversations, this should do it. When Bachelor host Chris Harrison visited us last week, he admitted he’d just gotten in a debate with one of our building’s female security guards about Courtney’s aggressive style of play. In the video below, Harrison shares why he thinks Courtney is such a divisive figure and how he first learned about her controversial swim with Ben. He also answers some burning Bachelor questions about what he’s actually doing during those long cocktail parties (sitting in a control room where he can dial up any conversation he wants to eavesdrop on) and who actually decides what order the names are called in during a rose ceremony. (“After 10 years, we’ve been found out.”) READ FULL STORY
It’s week 2 of The Bachelor, and we’re in for a treat: Instead of the remaining women settling into the Bachelor Mansion in L.A., winemaker Ben Flajnik takes them to Sonoma. “That was an idea of mine. I talked to a lot of the producers saying, ‘I like Los Angeles, but Los Angeles isn’t home,'” he says. “For the women to get a really good sense of me and a sense of place, I thought going up to Northern California would be a really cool idea.”
In the video interview below, Ben talks more about the kind of women he told producers he was looking for, why he gave Jenna a rose that first night, why he felt comfortable skinny-dipping with Courtney (as seen in the promo for what’s coming up this season), and how we haven’t heard the last of him playing David Gray’s “This Year’s Love.” For the record, he assures us he has no desire for a recording career. READ FULL STORY
- 'John Carter' rights lapse at Disney
- 'Goodfellas' actor sues 'Simpsons' for $250M
- 'Shark Tank' spin-off a go at ABC
- 'Red Band Society': Fox orders 4 more scripts
- Morena Baccarin joining 'Gotham' as...
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' teaser next week
- 'Simpsons World' app, website go live
- Edward Norton reflects on not being the Hulk
- S Club 7 to reunite for BBC charity gig
- Matthew McConaughey saluted at L.A. gala